People in laundry commercials can be quite entertaining. Images of flowers, sunshine, and a background of snowy mountains promise laundry as fresh as a day in the Alps! But those man-made chemicals don’t hold a candle to real, natural freshness (that is actually good for you too).
This natural linen spray recipe uses essential oils to leave fabrics smelling clean and fresh, without any harmful artificial fragrances.
Natural Linen Spray or… Chemical Soup?
Homemade laundry detergent gets clothes clean without chemicals, but it does have one significant drawback. We all love our laundry not only to look clean and fresh, but to smell that way too. And natural scents like essential oils just don’t last as long as the artificial chemicals conventional detergents rely on. (It’s kind of freaky how strong those scents are and how long they last!)
Laundry washed in conventional detergent may smell nice, but it hardly seems worth risking brain cell death. One study analyzing over 90 fragrances reports that these artificial scents may mutate cells in the body, and are even implicated in contributing to autism.
This scent of this homemade linen spray recipe won’t last a full week (and then some!) like the conventional options, but it’s easy to reach for whenever a boost of natural freshness is needed.
And no bad side effects … in fact, only good ones!
Essential Oil Linen Spray: Double Duty
Linen spray is nice to have around not only for laundry but for bigger fabric items that can’t be run through the washing machine: carpets, bedding, sofas, pillows … even a child’s favorite life-size teddy bear.
As a bonus, essential oils don’t just mask the scent but thanks to their antimicrobial properties, actually work against the bacteria that causes unpleasant odors.
A few key players in this linen spray are:
- Lavender – A gentle microbial essential oil that is disinfecting and cleansing, while calming and uplifting the mind.
- Citrus oil (lemon) – Similar in its actions to lavender oil but more invigorating and uplifting as it cleanses surfaces.
- White fir – Calming and grounding, in addition to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Cypress – A woodsy smelling oil that’s known for its ability to help ground the emotions.
All together these essential oils combine to create an uplifting, calming, and refreshing linen spray with notes of woodsy, citrus, and floral scents.
Refreshing DIY Linen Spray Recipe
A light natural fragrance for freshening fabrics- keep on hand for sheets, towels, pillowcases, and more!
Linen Spray Ingredients
Linen Spray Directions
- Combine the vodka and essential oils in the spray bottle, and give it a good swirl to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes for scents to combine. Shake again.
- Add water until almost full, leaving about ½ inch of space at the top.
- Cap the bottle and shake again to combine.
Instructions: How to Use the Linen Spray
- Shake the bottle well before each use, and liberally spray on fabrics as desired.
- This spray is safe for most fabric types, but a small area can be patch tested if there are any concerns.
- The linen spray can be used on bedding, clothing, fabric-covered furniture, etc., for a fresh scent.
- With the alcohol, this spray will last for months without the need for refrigeration.
What’s your favorite way to keep fabrics smelling fresh? Have you already made the switch to natural scents for clothing and fabrics?